Recruiting for a full time Pulmonary and Critical Care physician for the Hampton VA Medical Center in Hampton, Virginia. Duties includes:
- Evaluate and treat patients with acute life threatening medical and surgical diseases in the Intensive Care Unit.
- Train and mentor physicians, medical students and other professional personnel.
- Exchange advice and consultation with other expert physicians on the diagnoses and treatment of patients.
Learn more about this agency
1. Provide direct patient care specific to subspecialty in the inpatient and ambulatory clinic settings.
2. Provide timely screening and resolution of consultations from other disciplines in the inpatient and outpatient settings.
3. In collaboration with the Director of the Medical Intensive Care Unit (MICU), provide oversight of the clinical care of patients admitted to the MICU.
4. Provide a full range of therapeutic interventions specific to subspecialty to units/programs in the Medical Center to which they are assigned and have clinical privileges to practice including diagnostic assessment, medication evaluation and management.
5. Order diagnostic tests and discriminate between normal and abnormal findings and makes appropriate treatment decisions.
6. Documentation of care in the medical record in keeping with the bylaws of the Medical Center.
7. Provide supervisory oversight residents, fellows, medical students, NP/PA students, as appropriate, who are assigned to the Pulmonary Service.
8. Provide supervisory oversight of the clinical care on the inpatient service and ambulatory clinic of Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants as appropriate.
9. Participates effectively in team meetings and treatment planning conferences, and collaborates with multidisciplinary team members in a manner that enhances coordination of comprehensive patient care.
10. Provide weekend and holiday coverage of the pulmonary and critical care consultation service in rotation with other staff pulmonologists.
11. Provide weekend and holiday coverage of the medical inpatient service in rotation at a frequency determined by the Chief of Medicine or Chief of Staff.
12. Ensures that the practice of medicine is consistent with Joint Commission, GARF, VA policies and procedures, clinical practice guidelines, VISN standards, national statutes and regulations, medical record documentation, mandatory continuing education, and HIPPA policies.
13. Other duties as assigned by the Chief of Staff within clinical privileges to meet the needs of the organization.
14. Serve on Medical Center, VISN and/or National VA committees or task forces.
15. Represent the Medical Service on hospital committees as directed by the Chief of Medicine, Chief of Staff and Medical Center Director.
16. Maintain CME and re-licensure as dictated by Veterans Administration, State, and the American Board of Internal Medicine rules and regulations.
Work Schedule: 8:00AM-4:30PM (Monday-Friday-40 hours/week) On Call as needed, evenings, weekends and Holidays
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Relocation/Recruitment incentives: May be authorized for highly qualified applicant
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
Pay: Competitive salary, annual performance bonus, regular salary increases.
Paid Time Off: Annual leave at the rate of eight (8) hours per biweekly pay period; Sick leave at the rate of four (4) hours per biweekly pay period; 10 paid Federal holidays per year.
Retirement: Traditional federal pension (5 years’ vesting) and federal 401K with up to 5% in contributions by VA.
Insurance: Federal health/vision/dental/term life/long-term care (many federal insurance programs can be carried into retirement).
Incentives: Possible signing bonus, relocation assistance, and student loan repayment up to $120K for eligible debt.
Licensure: 1 full and unrestricted license from any US State or territory.
Malpractice: Free liability protection with tail coverage provided.
Take a look at VA’s Top 20 Reasons Doctors Enjoy Working at VA and VHA Physician’s Brochure
Applicants pending the completion of educational or certification/licensure requirements may be referred and tentatively selected but may not be hired until all requirements are met.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Preferred Experience: Board eligible or board certification in pulmonary medicine and critical care medicine preferred.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Functional requirements include Light to Moderate Lifting (15 – 44 lbs.); Light Carrying (15 lbs. and under); use of fingers; both hands required; Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Both eyes required Depth perception; Ability to distinguish basic colors; Ability to distinguish shades of colors; Hearing (aid permitted).
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/ . If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html .
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice: VHA Physician Brochure .
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time physicians at the rate of eight (8) hours per biweekly pay period.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Your application, résumé, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
NOTE: A formal pay-setting process will be used to determine your salary. The salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
Credentialing , Suitability/Fitness
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes (upload C.V. as resume document type):
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50’s, etc.
- Cover Letter
- DD-214/ Statement of Service
- Disability Letter (VA)
- Professional Certification
- SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.